The life and times of a Gentoo developer and leader

Gentoo Linux, or Why in the World You Should Compile Everything [Video]

I gave an introductory talk on Gentoo at a local BarCamp called MinneBar a couple of months back, and the videos were just posted online. The sound isn’t perfect but it’s perfectly understandable. Oddly, this is the first time I’ve ever given a formal talk on Gentoo in nearly 10 years of working on it.

The slides are pretty tough to read from the video, so I also uploaded them to Slideshare. I updated and heavily customized the same “Intro to Gentoo” slide deck that’s been floating around for years. It still could stand to lose a whole lot more text, and hopefully I can optimize it further if I give it again.

About these ads

July 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

Tagged with , ,

1. Slackers… why not do the whole way, and run Linux From Scratch? :)

Simon

July 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

2. I know that I tried to do this one day and part way through I screwed up the install process so just went with Sabayon but did not really like it all that much. I will have to try Gentoo again some day as I went back to Arch Linux after trying this as I could get that installed with out any issues but you do not compile all the programs like you do for Gentoo so it was easier for me.

John

July 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

• Gentoo is like your own cooking. After investing time and energy no matter how bad it is you will force yourself to love it.

Mr. Pink

July 22, 2012 at 1:08 am

• I plan on trying to install it again. I went with Windows 7 on my system for the time being so I could learn to use it since we have to support it at work and I was hoping to be able to teach my mother how to use it with voice rather then the keyboard and mouse. I see the Linux is getting better in this area but not quite there yet.

John

July 24, 2012 at 2:47 am

3. http://www.google.com/search?q=ps3+removes+linux
    Sony removed the option to install Linux on the PS3 over 2 years ago.

Alex

July 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33 other followers