Archive for July 2005
In file included from ../../../GL/glx/glxserver.h:71,
../../../GL/glx/glxscreens.h:47:32: GL/internal/glcore.h: No such file or directory
Updated a bunch of stuff today; it was good to see that somebody fixed a bunch of build breakages (Matthieu Herrb, I think). Still a lot of packages doing weird stuff with xprint, using an Xaw m4 macro without stating a dependency upon Xaw among other things.
Adam, here’s a patch for libdrm.pc to make xorg not die when trying to build with DRI.
I also posted a file full of things I’ve got issues with so far in the modularization.
The most flattering thing I could possibly say about the latest Open Desktop Workstation: It looks like an Apple.
I’m just working on the actual server module, xorg. Building with composite seems broken:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include -I../../include -I../../include -I../../include -I../../include -DHAVE_DIX_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -I/opt/fdo//include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../../include -I../../include -I../../Xext -I../../render -I../../randr -I../../xfixes -I../../damageext -I../../composite -I../../mi -I../../miext/damage
-I../../miext/shadow -I../../fb -I../../Xi -O2 -march=athlon-mp -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector -pipe -MT damage.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/damage.Tpo -c damage.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/damage.o
damage.c:42:19: cw.h: No such file or directory
Doesn’t include miext/cw, just miext/damage and miext/shadow.
Also I can’t figure out where gl.pc’s supposed to come from — it’s required to build Xdmx with GLX support.
Just finished up the fonts. I’m thinking of adding a post-dependency in all of them on alias, to make sure it gets merged last. Hope the package manager can handle it.
Now for the important part: the ebuild layout. Here’s the categories I’m looking at so far, which is mostly a mirror of how upstream breaks it down:
- x11-apps: The various applications that come along.72 ebuilds.
- x11-proto: The protocol headers. 30 ebuilds.
- x11-libs: 41 ebuilds.
- media-fonts: 35 ebuilds.
- x11-drivers: Haven’t done this yet, but there are 72 directories upstream.
- x11-base: The actual X server.
- app-doc: Old-format docs that haven’t been broken into individual packages yet. Probably just a couple ebuilds.
- x11-misc: The data module, which contains bitmaps and xkbdata. Also the util module, with imake, etc.
My plan is to have a series of “submetabuilds” that combine into a “supermetabuild,” which will be the actual xorg-x11 ebuild. There will be one submetabuild for each major component: apps, drivers, libraries, etc. This will allow me to split USE flags out a bit (so e.g., x11-fonts would have 100dpi, 75dpi, truetype as flags) as well as allow people who only want e.g. libraries for a headless server to get them cleanly.
I’d enjoy hearing thoughts on this.
Just finished up all the apps (there are 71). There are problems with roughly 15 of them; either they don’t build, or xprint is screwing something up, or I need to add a couple of USE flags. Stefan posted a patch for a number of them early this morning.
Tonight I started work on the modular X ebuilds for 7.0. It went reasonably quickly after I wrote a script to autogenerate tarballs and ebuilds, then install them. I’m still fixing up their dependencies manually, however, so that’s a bit of a slowdown. I made 71 packages — all of the protocol headers and libraries — out of roughly 230 available and autotooled in Xorg CVS.
The main weirdness was module-name overlap between proto/X11 and lib/X11, so I switched the proto one’s name to xproto. I wonder why it isn’t called that in CVS.
After two days of hauling unbelievable amounts of crap across our gigantor apartment complex, here I be: at the new home. It’s beautiful, it’s much nicer than our old place, the doors aren’t cheap, the windows have a view of the forest instead of the dumpster, and I have nothing to complain about.
Luckily a couple friends came over to help move the furniture today, including another guy. They brought two big trucks, so things worked out quite nicely. And now I’m back online — the cable modem just worked after moving it over.
Maybe I’ll take some pics once the rest of the place gets set up. Those little hinges for the futon are missing, so a useless frame is sitting here. They may not even be in the state.
I’m off to bed.
Thank you, Dan Jensen, for this excellent guide. May all Gentoo users and other readers of my blog follow it religiously.